18 June 2013

Canning Pork BBQ with Homemade Sauce!

I have been on a barbeque kick, yall! I have made it every week for the past 2 months. I love it with a corn cake and fresh coleslaw, bread and butter pickles optional. Plus, pork butts have been on sale.
I always change up my rub, but it usually consists of salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, garlic, ground mustard, and smoked paprika. Roast at 400 for 15 minutes then set that sucker on low, low, low! If the pork dries out, pour a little apple cider vinegar, beer, stock, whatever you have, on top. When fully cooked, cool until you can handle it. Now, some like minced, but I pull. I start with a fork, until I get impatient and go to it by hand.

To can, you can do it as is, topping off with stock or water, or even a splash of vinegar added to the liquid.
I know barbeque is a method, but I like mine smothered in smoky, sweet sauce. I didn't want to risk using a commercial sauce, since they often contain corn starch, and that's a no-no in canning. I tried to keep track of what I used, but you know how that goes. I quickly resort to tossing in whatever pops in my head, stirring and tasting like a witch over her cauldron. But this is what I was able to jot down:

2 12oz cans tom paste and stock, water to make 2 qts
1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/8 cloves
4tbs sorghum
1/2tsp red pep flake
1tsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 small onions, roasted
6 cloves garlic, roasted
3oz apple cider vinegar

I know I ended up with quite a bit more vinegar, tossing in a cinnamon stick, and more sorghum. The result was impressive for a first-timer! After processing, the smoke had really come out, so I may not cook the sauce so much next time. It is incredible, but I like a bit more tomatoey, sweet taste. Oh! Just use a blender stick to combine everything til smooth.

1. Combine all sauce ingredients and simmer (I did about 2 hrs, so maybe half that time if you like a more fresh, raw taste). While this is going, pull your meat and divide evenly among your jars to about 3/4 full.
2. Top meat with hot sauce, leaving 1 inch of headspace. If you are short a bit, top with water.
3. Remove any air pockets. Top with lids and rings.
4. Process for 90 minutes in a pressure canner.


No comments:

Post a Comment