06 November 2012

We be jammin'

15 pounds of frozen strawberries. That's a lot of smoothies. Although we don't typically go gaga for smoothies in November. It's cold enough already. Ya know what's perfect on a cold morning? Hot biscuits. Ya know what's perfect with those biscuits? Yeah, but besides gravy. Yes, but besides apple butter. Ooh, molasses...
No. Strawberry jam! Strawberry jam is what goes on the biscuits!
I have been on a mission to find the perfect jam. I probably just need the perfect berries, but I gotta work with what I got. The little lady and I tried out a new recipe. She had too much fun mashing the strawberries.





1. Combine 6 cups mashed strawberries, 1 cup water, and 4 ½ Tbsp low/no sugar pectin. 2. Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute. 3. Add sugar if needed. (Just taste it! I used 1 cup; they were tart berries. Return to a hard boil for 1 minute.) 4. Fill jars, leaving 1/4” headspace. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
I use the plate test. You know it's ready when you can drag your finger through the jam on a plate, and it leaves a path. If it runs back together, it needs a little more cookin'.
We had breakfast for dinner, which is commonplace for us, and the jam was wonderful. Bright and sweet but not too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment